Manufacturers of dietary supplements – for cleaning their ranks
Round table: "The Russian dietary supplement market – problems and trends"RSPP OOR
On March 18, 2010, a round table was held within the framework of the Third International Medical Forum/Exhibition "Health Industry":
"The Russian dietary supplement market – problems and trends".
The organizers of the event are the Commission of the All–Russian Association of Employers "Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs" (OOR RSPP) for the health industry and the Non-profit Partnership "Manufacturers of Biologically Active Food Additives, Therapeutic and Preventive Nutrition", which has been a member of the OOR since 2008.
The presidium included representatives of the Federal Antimonopoly Service, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, the Research Institute of Nutrition of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, the Youth Public Chamber.
The main topic of the meeting was priority measures to counter fraud, "telephone healers" and illegal sellers of "magic pills" and other negative phenomena present on the market of biologically active food additives. A lively discussion took place on the development of the market of biologically active food additives, on the role of dietary supplements in the health protection system and on measures to prevent negative consequences during their turnover.
The speakers at the Round Table were:
- Viktor Mikhailovich Cherepov – Executive Vice President - Managing Director for Interaction with Regional and Industry Associations, First Deputy Chairman of the RSPP Commission on the Health Industry,
- Minkail Magomed Gadzhievich Gapparov – Deputy Director of the Research Institute of Nutrition of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, one of the participants in the development of the "Concept of Healthy Nutrition Policy in Russia",
- Marina Nikolaevna Ponomareva – Executive Director of the Non-profit Partnership "Manufacturers of Biologically Active Food Additives, Therapeutic and Preventive Nutrition" (NPP dietary Supplements),
- Nikitina Elena Aleksandrovna – Department of Clinical Nutrition of the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia,
- Pilat Tatiana Lvovna – President of the Non-profit Partnership "Manufacturers of Biologically Active food Additives, Therapeutic and Preventive Nutrition" (NPP dietary supplements), General Director of LLC "Leovit Nutrio",
- Alekseeva Tatiana Dmitrievna – Managing Partner of Younger's Group,
- Sergienko Valery Ivanovich – Chairman of the Committee of the CCI of the Russian Federation on Entrepreneurship in Healthcare and the Medical industry.
The first step to counteract negative phenomena in the sphere of turnover of biologically active food additives was called the interaction of manufacturers with interested government agencies and the creation of a Working Group on combating fraud in the field of dietary supplements on the basis of the National Chamber of Dietary Supplements and the Youth Public Chamber. Its tasks will include the formation of a program to eliminate this sector of the "shadow" economy together with legal and regulatory authorities. The main "weapon" in the fight for the health and well-being of the end user will be:
- global media monitoring for substandard advertising. Its results will be regularly provided to the FAS and published for public viewing on the Internet in the form of lists of fraudulent companies.
- widespread dissemination in the media of a memo to the consumer to prevent cases of fraud and deception in the implementation of dietary supplements.
- organization of a "hotline". Professional consultants will be able to conduct educational work for the general public and answer any questions that citizens may have in connection with the use of dietary supplements.
- organization of joint raids and control purchases with law enforcement, regulatory authorities and media representatives.
- improving legislation to effectively combat false advertising and the actions of fraudsters distributing dietary supplements and other food products as medicines.
The participants noted that there is a lot of work to be done to overcome negative phenomena in the field of dietary supplements, and supported the initiatives put forward by the speakers of the round table and included in the final resolution.
Portal "Eternal youth" http://vechnayamolodost.ru29.03.2010